Cheap and healthy recipe ideas: Lentil Casserole
From our Farms to Families Markets to our new school Cooking Classes Program, it’s our mission to ensure all Victorians have access to healthy food. We asked our very own Emma Williams, registered nutritionist and coordinator of our Schools Food Literacy program – some tips to turning fresh produce into an easy, low-waste and low cost meal.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 salt-reduced vegetable stock cube
- 2 handfuls grated cheese (tasty or cheddar)
- 2 cans tinned lentils (rinsed & drained)
- 3 tablespoons Kecap Manis
- 3 cups of vegetable (celery, tomatoes, capsicum, mushrooms, eggplant, carrot, zucchini), diced
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- In a large frying pan add olive oil. Add garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add all vegetables, Kecap Manis and stock cube. Cook for 3-5 mins until softened.
- To a casserole/baking dish add lentils and spoon in cooked vegetable mixture. Combine well.
- Flatten down with back of spoon then grate over cheese. Bake in oven for 20 mins until cheese melted. Serve warm with your fav salad.
- Celery is a great addition to this casserole. By adding celery you will enjoy vitamin K, vitamin C potassium and folate. It is low GI and high in water content (95% water) meaning it supports healthy digestive tract and has a slow, steady effect on your blood sugar.
VIEW MORE RECIPES